Small Steps, Sensible Choices, Superior Health.
Healthy Breasts, Naturally
Search This Site:
Most women don't focus on developing healthy breasts unless there is a history of breast cancer in the family.
I recently attended a very interesting class that focused on
natural ways to have healthy breasts and naturally preventing breast
Most of the information below is taken from what I learned from
Dr. Mary Born, a Naturopathic Doctor and Steven Horne, AHG, a natural
Five Keys to Preventing Breast Cancer
Did you know that 30%-50% of breast cancer could be prevented with a healthy diet and getting regular exercise? That's right, we can increase our chances of having healthy breasts, just by making a few lifestyle changes.
It's sounds so simple, but few people really eat for nutrition. It might help if we start thinking of our food as medicine for our body.
#1 Good Nutrition
Choose Good Foods
- Avoid simple carbohydrates like white flour and simple sugars
- Avoid processed fats and oils
- Choose fresh natural foods, not canned and processed foods Organic foods are best because they have more nutrients and no harmful chemicals
Choose Good Fats
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids
- Nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans
- Avocados, yummy guacamole!
- Coconut oil (you can find this at a healthfood store)
- Butter and cream from organic, grass fed cows, (not margarine, there is a difference, see Additional Resources below)
Choose Good Protein Sources
- Choose organic meat from grass fed animals (to find look at local farms, on-line sources, some grocery stores)
- Don't overcook proteins Same for eggs, seek out organic, free range suppliers
- Same for eggs, seek out organic, free range suppliers
#2 Avoid Xenoestrogen Substances
Xenoestrogen substances are a major cause of breast cancer and other female health problems.
Examples of Xenoestrogens
- Commercial meat and dairy products, (typical grocery store products unless specified organic
- Pesticide residues on commercial produce, if you can't get organic produce, wash well with an enzyme cleaner as it helps to break down the pesticide residue
- Soft plastics, like milk and juice containers, (glass and paper is better)
- Microwave cooking in plastic containers, if you have to microwave something, use glass
- Laundry detergents and household cleaning products, look for more natural cleaners
Ways To Counteract Xenoestrogen Substances
- Consume more foods like broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale and turnips.
- If you don't like these foods consider using an Indole-3 Carbinol supplement.
- Detox your liver with foods like garlic, onions, cabbage and cauliflower or consider detoxing with supplements.
#3 Using Natural Remedies For Healthy Breasts
- Increase phyto-estrogens or take a phyto-estrogen supplements they may be helpful in preventing breast cancer.
- Ellagic Acid is known for stopping carcinogens from
initiating cancer cell growth. Best food sources containing ellagic
acid are found in cherries, grapes, walnuts, raspberries, strawberries
- Bioflavonoids detoxify harmful estrogens and help
prevent the production of cancer cells. Best food sources are found in
citrus, grapes, onions and buckwheat.
- Lignans prevent the growth of tumors. Best lingnan food sources are found in nuts and seeds especially flax seed
- Beta carotene naturally protects against cancer. Best
beta carotene food sources are from beans, carrots, cantaloupe, pumpkin,
winter squash, yams, broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach and sweet
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin provide cancer fighting benefits
for pre-menopausal women with family history of breast cancer. Best
food sources are found in collard greens, spinach, kale, corn and most
- Lycopene helps eliminate free radicals associated with
cigarette smoke. Best food sources are tomatoes, carrots, guava, ruby
red grapefruit and watermelon.
- Chlorophyll's green pigment prevents damage to the DNA in cells which occurs when normal cells transform into cancerous cells.
- Catechins have a powerful antioxidant effect and are found in black and green tea.
#4 Have a Positive Attitude and Reduce Stress
- Don't be a martyr, stand up for yourself and learn to assert your right to choose your path
- Learn to pamper yourself to reduce stress
- Take a walk in nature
- Get a massage
- Listen to good music
- Take a bubble bath or soak in hot tub
- Do Regular Breast Massage
- Regular breast massage helps to improve circulation and lymph drainage.
Here is a video of a breast massage to encourage lymphatic flow
for healthy breasts. If done regularly, many women have found they could eliminate lumps overtime.
#5 Switch From Mammograms to Thermograms
- Yes, I know that goes against traditional medical wisdom.
But after reading about the radiation that women are subjected to, you
might want to consider
instead, it's a much safer alternative for healthy breasts.
- Thermography was developed about the same time as the mammogram
but due to regulatory red tape and marketing methods, mammograms were
the chosen practice that was adopted in the traditional medical arena.
However advocates of thermography say that thermograms are very
effective and can detect abnormalities 10 years sooner than mammograms
and there is no harmful radiation.
- Mammogram x-rays increase your risk of cancer.
Mammograms involve taking 4 pictures at 340 RADs (Radiation Absorbed
Dose) for each picture. By the time you have both breast done, that's 8
doses of radiation to sensitive breast tissue. And they encourage us to
get a mammogram every year. The non-direct natural radiation that we
absorb every year is only 300 RADs.
- Do self breast exams on a regular basis
Healthy Breasts and Funding
There is so much money raised to support the finding of a cure
for breast cancer.
I wish that more money was spent on educating the
public on how to naturally prevent breast cancer.
Because it all boils
down to good nutrition and making healthy choices.
By adopting these
principles in our life, we'd not only prevent breast cancer, but all
kinds of other diseases as well.
If you would like to watch
Dr. Mary's entire webinar, click here.
Healthy Eating Guidelines
The Facts on Fats and Oils
Why Organic Foods
Margarine vs Butter
Search Local Harvest for Healthier Food Choices
Return to Home Page